Wednesday, December 19, 2007

King O' The Hill!


Today our local daily, The Corpus Christi Caller/Times, announced they were to resign from the local Chamber of Commerce, citing differences with Chamber President Terry Carter.
Now I am no fan of Terry Carter. I have had major problems with his positions on many issues, most notably on the beach isssue we fought here last year. I also never cared much for his style, I don't know him personally and have never met or spoken to the man but I had a poor impression.
However, I think it is extremely arrogant and condescending of the Caller/Times to attack the leader of the local Chamber of Commerce. The Caller/Times had been a member of that organization for 75 years and the purpose of such an organization is to put the community in the best light to promote business and tourism. It seems to me the newspaper should be a part of that. Carter wont be the president forever. Will the paper approve of the next president? Will they let a personal problem keep the paper out of the chamber in the future?
I think this is just the latest example of the Caller/Times trying to make the news and not report it. The newspaper is a newspaper, it is not the omnipotent, all seeing lord of the community! It also has no role in making policy or staffing the Chamber of Commerce.

No comments: